The Devil in the Details
I have been busy the last month or so learning how to use Google Sketchup. It’s a fairly intuitive 3D program that has allowed me to model all of the elements from my board game using textures. This is a huge step forward in my pursuit of the final design for the box and rule book. It has also given me an opportunity to look at a few possible changes to the components for Wu Wei. I had been considering a change to better illustrate the quadrants of the board. After I saw the texture applied to a fully set up board I realized that it made everything too busy. It was too hard for me to look at the board and try to make strategic choices. The octagon artwork became drowned out and everything sort of dissolved into chaos. It’s funny how that happens. You pull on a thread and the whole tapestry unravels. Oh board game design. Gotta love it!
On the other end of the spectrum, I was able to see the chi pieces in a more final state. Of all the components I feel like these have gone through the most changes. I’m committed to making the game as accessible as possible and I feel like this incarnation of the chi pieces addresses the needs of color blind folks.
I’ve also added a 3D model on the website that you can play with here: https://graywolfgames.com/wuwei/model/